Saturday, June 09, 2007

Thursday June7, 2007

This morning I received a phone call from the post office at 7:15am. Our Guinea Keats had arrived. We were all still in bed. Addisson had preschool that morning so once I dropped her off I picked them up about 9am. They were so noisy I could hear them outside the post office. When I went in to pick them up I told the lady at the counter I was here to rescue her from all of the noise. They were packed in a small box with lots of air holes. I couldn't believe there was 30 in there. Once I opened them up I realized you could actually have fit more in the box. I left them in the car while I cleaned out their home and put bedding and water down for them. When I went to release the hens one didn't look like it was going to make it. As I examined the box they had come in I realized they had just hatched on Tuesday. And were sent two day mail. These birds were in the mail most of their lives.

It was time to pick up Addisson so I brought 5 of the birds with me. The kids at her preschool loved looking at them. They all wanted to hold them but I would not let them for the birds were so tiny and too fragile for 3 and 4 year old hands. Addisson was glad I brought them so her friends could see them. I had a small petting zoo in the car. As I was leaving to pick Addisson up both Salem ( the kitten) and Woody jumped in the car. I had a dog, kitten and 5 guinea Keats in the car with me when I picked up Addisson.

When Asa got home from work we had lost another guinea keat. He had stopped by the neighbors on his way home and asked him about our grey water issue. He came over and looked at and asked Asa if he wanted to do it to night. Asa said "sure I will go change my clothes". Thursday evening they dug up the back yard with a mini backhoe. Of course the small project turned into a larger one and took way longer than expected but they did finish and now our basement isn't flooding with grey water. YEAH. Once they started digging they saw that the drainage system was probably placed in the ground in the 1950's and was a cheap tar and paper pipe. Once it ages it gets brittle and crushes. Which is exactly what happened to ours.

No comments: