Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Monday June 11, 2007

The roofers showed at 7am. They said it would take 3 days to complete the house. They are putting on a metal roof. The color is ok, it doesn't look the best with white but it will look very nice once we get red siding. It is a burnt slate but it looks brown.

Asa and I spent most of the day working on the garden. He rotatiled and planted, while I weeded. While we were in the garden I noticed a lady walking by. I didn't pay much attention and kept weeding. Asa however yelled out hello. She then proceeded to come down the driveway. He met her halfway and started to talk to her. She was lost. He asked the roofers if they knew her son, they didn't. He went inside and got the phone book and looked him up. She was on the right road but was disoriented. He asked me if I would take her home in the car. He was so nice to her and gave her water. It was hot out. It was about noon. She said she has been walking since 9am trying to find her sons house. She knew it was close but didn't quite know where. She felt silly or "stupid" as she said.

He helped her in the car and I went left out of the drive as per her instructions. Once I saw that the house numbers were going in the wrong direction I turned around. She was very confused and kept asking me if I was sure. I said" I am pretty sure and if its not right we can turn around again". We went back past our house and down the road about a mile and a half. When I pulled in the drive way I asked her " if this was the right house". She couldn't tell me. It didn't seem to look familiar to her. I looked at the house closer and saw a sign on the house with their last name which was the name of her son. I knew we were in the right place. I asked her if she was going to be able to get in the house and she said yes. I started to watch her go in the house but Addisson, who was in the back seat got me distracted by a horse fly who was bothering her. So I really never got to see her go inside but she was gone so I assumed she made it in ok before I left the driveway.

On my return home I thought to myself " that is why I love my husband". He has a great sense about those situations. He knew to just say "Hello" to this woman. I was in awe of how he can do that. I would never have thought to do that. I asked him when we got home, how did he know she was lost? He said she just didn't fit into the surroundings. An elderly lady dressed how she was, out walking! I never even thought twice about it let alone the big picture and the details of how she was dressed and the entire situation. After he got her talking he introduced himself and got her name and took care of her. It made me very proud.

Later that evening we were getting cleaned up while waiting for our pizza to arrive. Can you believe it, Yes, we do have pizza deliver! Only one place delivers but it is just ok pizza. I happened to look outside and I saw the goats heading to the street. By the time I got my shoes back on and hollered at Asa in the shower a car had driven by and scared them back into the yard. They bolted for the new fruit trees in the garden. I had to cut them off. I grabbed an empty bubble container and started to beat them off the trees. It was a frenzied. The trees were just starting to grow their leaves back from the last time the goats attacked them. They are so small they may not make another de-leafing. I had to get them off. They had the trees bent over and were starting to stand on them to get the leaves at the very top. It took me a little while to beat them off but I did succeed, but not without casualties. They stripped all of the grape vines of their leaves and a couple of trees. We hope they will come back like the last time. We had just yelled at Woody for eating a grape vine only a few hours earlier. We were able to get the goats back into their pen and find where they were getting out. The door of the chicken coop had rotted off the hinges. It had looked like the door was closed from a far but those sneaky goats knew better. The goats were in but not with out a screaming tantrum of 4 letter words from Asa. Not only was he mad at Woody for eating the plants, he was P. O. at the goats only to get ZAPPED but the fence. This created a new episode of cuss words. Which were all heard by our daughters ears. He got zapped soooooo good it dropped him to the ground and it took him several minutes to get up. He said it was the worst he has been zapped yet. He was wet from the shower and from sweat. He said it went through his thumb down his spine and out his feet. He said it felt like he was having his spine pulled out.

Once everything calmed down and we were walking back towards the house I said to him " Don't ever scold me about saying a swear word in front of the girls because our neighbors just heard you!" He gave me a smirk and we both chuckled. He then proceeded to shower again since he had just worked up another sweat. The good news is he actually got dressed once he got out of the shower the first time and wasn't putting the goats back naked. Although it was daylight his nakedness must only come out at night!

It turned out to be an exciting night! Asa told me the roofers boss stopped by walked up to the fence and grabbed a hold of it because he wanted to see what it was made out of. I said to the roofers this morning " I hear someone got zapped yesterday" They all laughed, "yeah our boss".

No comments: